by Ryan Weaver
Monday, April 5th 2021
WASHINGTON, D.C — Senator Jon Ossoff has announced those who will make up his Senate office’s senior leadership. Among those picked is a diverse group of Capitol Hill veterans, some with Georgia ties.
“I set out to recruit the most qualified leadership team in the country, and these extraordinary people will lead an office that is laser focused on Georgia, responsive, responsible, effective, and efficient. I am grateful for their service,” said Ossoff.
Ossoff’s senior leadership team is below:
- Rey Benitez, Chief of Staff: To lead Senator Ossoff’s team, Benitez brings a decade of experience advising Senate leadership. Benitez previously served as Chief of Staff to Senator Catherine Cortez Masto, who chaired the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in 2020, and he was a Senior Advisor to former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid. Benitez is a graduate of Utah Valley University and Johns Hopkins University.
- Donni Turner, Legislative Director: Leading Ossoff’s legislative team, Turner is a Georgia native with more than 20 years of public policy and Congressional experience. Turner is an alumna of Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, and Howard University School of Law and previously worked for Georgia Senator Max Cleland, Georgia Congressman David Scott, and Senator Dick Durbin. Turner mostly recently served as a Senior Policy Advisor to the Senate Budget Committee under Chairman Bernie Sanders.
- Chandra Harris, State Director: Leading Senator Ossoff’s State Office and overseeing constituent services, Harris previously served for more than a decade as District Director for Georgia. In Congressman David Scott’s office, Chandra rose from staff assistant to press secretary and went on to lead the Congressman’s Georgia office for more than 10 years. Harris is a graduate of Duke University and Georgia State College of Law.
- Steven Parker, Deputy State Director: Parker previously served as Political Director for Senator Ossoff’s 2020 Senate campaign, Senior City Attorney for the City of Atlanta, VP and Senior Counsel with Fidelity National Title Group, attorney with Balch & Bingham LLP, and area deputy to former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan. Parker has also worked as an area deputy for Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan, field representative for California State Senator Herschel Rosenthal and on statewide campaigns in California. Parker is a graduate of the College of the Sequoias, California State University-Northridge, and North Carolina Central University School of Law.
- Miryam Lipper, Senior Advisor for Communications and Strategy: Lipper previously served as Communications Director for Ossoff’s 2020 Senate campaign. Her high-level experience in strategic communications includes service as a spokesperson for Vice President Kamala Harris during her presidential campaign and for U.S. Senator Tim Kaine. Lipper is an alumna of the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Lipper is a graduate of Indiana University.
Submitted to Karuna Rekhraj, NCCU School of Law 4.6.21