Message from the Chair
August 9, 2022
Dear Law School Colleagues,
This month we began a process that will lead to the selection of a new leader for the North Carolina Central University School of Law. I am pleased to share that I will be serving as Chair of the search committee. Chancellor Johnson Akinleye and Provost Jackson met with the search committee and delivered the charge regarding the search for the Dean of the NCCU School of Law. The goal is to select a new Dean of the NCCU School of Law to begin at the start of Spring 2023 semester. Our committee will work diligently and thoughtfully to carry out this important responsibility. I plan to update you periodically as we move through the process of identifying prospects for the chancellor’s consideration. We will provide information and periodic updates via this website.
The committee has already began gathering thoughts and input from faculty students, staff, alumni and community to help inform the committee’s work. We invite colleagues and other members of the NCCU community to attend a Listening Session on August 31 to give input on the qualities they would like to see in the next Dean of the NCCU School of Law. The schedule of listening sessions is Wednesday, August 31, 2022, 12:30 – 1:30 pm, 4:00 – 5:00 pm, and 6:00 – 7:00 pm.
We also invite members of the NCCU community to provide input by responding to the survey on the dean search or directly to a member of the search Committee listed below.
- Audrey W. Beard, Search Committee Chair, Dean, School of Education
- Attorney Roderick Allison, NCCU Board of Trustees
- Tonya Banks-Daniels, NCCU Assistant Dean of Finance, School of Law
- Attorney Irving Joyner, NCCU Professor, School of Law
- Attorney Erika Jones, NCCU Assistant Professor, School of Law
- Brandon Hedgebeth, President, NCCU Student Bar Association
- Attorney J. Rich Leonard, Dean, Campbell University School of Law
- Attorney Fenita Morris-Shepard, NCCU General Counsel
- Attorney Daron Satterfield, Satterfield Law, PLLC
- Attorney Gerald Walden, Jr, Vice President- Deputy General Counsel and Head of Diversity, The Fresh Market
I would also like to thank you in advance for your willingness to engage in this very important process. I have confidence that we will complete our work in a timely fashion and have a new leader in place in January 2023.
Audrey W. Beard, Ed.D.
Chair & Dean of NCCU School of Education
Search Committee Member
Dr. Audrey Beard, Dean, School of Education, Chair School of Law Dean Search Committee
Attorney Roderick G. Allison, NCCU Board of Trustees, The Allison Office
Ms. Tonya Banks-Daniels, Assistant Dean of Finance, School of Law
Attorney Irving Joyner, Professor, NCCU School of Law
Attorney Erika Jones, Assistant Professor, NCCU School of Law
Mr. Brandon Hedgebeth, President, NCCU School of Law, NCCU Student Bar Association
Attorney J. Rich Leonard, Dean, Campbell University School of Law
Attorney Fenita Morris-Shepard, General Counsel, North Carolina Central University
Attorney Daron Satterfield, Satterfield Law, PLLC
Attorney Gerald L. Walden, Jr., Vice President-Deputy General Counsel and Head of Diversity, The Fresh Market, Inc.