Public speaking can be stressful, but it does not have to be! There are many tips and resources available to help you improve your public speaking skills. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for your end of the semester oral arguments, trials, and presentations.
- Do your research and know your topic well. This will help increase your confidence during the presentation.
- Practice makes perfect! Be sure to practice your presentation until you are confident about its contents. Practice in the mirror or in front of a live audience if available. Practice in the same room and using the same equipment that you will be using on the day of your presentation.
- Watch your favorite speeches. Note what makes the speech successful and use those things as a guide.
- During the presentation, keep a bottle of water nearby. Also, bring notes just in case you need to refresh your memory on a topic.
- Be confident and relax! It will show in your tone and body language. Remember that you have thoroughly prepared for the presentation and that you are capable of successfully completing it.
Be sure to check out the resources available at the Law Library about oral arguments and trial practice. These books will help you be more confident in your public speaking skills for your class presentations.