NCCU Law and Business students will offer FREE income tax preparation and electronic filing at the Legal Clinic office in the Law School building starting Saturday, January 28th.
Taxpayers earning up to $49,000 can have their Federal and North Carolina returns prepared free of charge by trained and certified VITA volunteers at NCCU Law School’s VITA site. Returns are filed electronically enabling taxpayers to receive refunds within 10-14 days (using direct deposit).
VITA tax preparation services are offered to the public as well as to NCCU students and employees. Senior citizens and military are also eligible for free tax preparation services.
All volunteers receive training and are certified by the IRS to prepare Federal and North Carolina tax returns.
Law School Building, corner South Alston Ave. and Cecil Street, in the Legal Clinic office suite (entrance at ground level facing Cecil Street)
- Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., January 28 – March 31
- Fridays, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., February 3 – March 30
- Except March 9 – 10 and March 16 – 17 (closed for Spring Break)
NCCU VITA Free Tax Preparation services are by appointment or walk-in. To schedule an appointment, call 919-530-6011. You may also schedule your appointment online at http://www.nc-tac.com/; select “NCCU” from the drop-down menu.
Trained VITA volunteers ensure that taxpayers receive all Federal and State credits for which they are eligible, including the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credits, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
Taxpayers wishing to have their returns prepared by VITA should bring with them:
- Proof of identification (valid photo identification)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.