A View From the Bench – Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Family and Civil Litigation
1.5 hours (CLE Credit Requested – 1.5 hours)
Date/location: July 29, 2016, NCCU School of Law
09:30am – 12:00pm: CLE Program
An informative CLE brought to you by alumni of the Class of 2001 and some of your favorite NCCU law faculty:
- A View From the Bench – Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Family and Civil Litigation:
Five district court judges, all of whom are Class of 2001 alumni, will share their expectations and preferences to help attorneys make the best of their litigation efforts. The discussion will explore the egregious errors attorneys must avoid so as not to jeopardize their family and civil litigation cases and damage their professional reputation.
(Pending Approval of 1.5 Hours of General CLE Credit)
- How to Avoid a Meltdown in the Practice of Law:
Led by Professor Fred Williams, this presentation will focus on behaviors indicating risk for various mental health conditions using an interactive, real-world, case-study method. It will highlight common behavioral indicators that something is amiss and outline best practices for informal interventions to encourage colleagues to seek help and overcome objections about receiving assistance.
(Pending Approval of 1 Hour of Mental Health/Substance Abuse CLE Credit)
- The Honorable Camille Banks-Payne: Forsyth County District Court Judge
- The Honorable Brenda Branch: Halifax County District Court Judge
- The Honorable Teresa R. Robinson-Freeman: Halifax County District Court Judge
- The Honorable Vince Rozier: Wake County District Court Judge
- The Honorable David Sherill: Guilford County District Court Judge
Moderator: Carena Lemons, Owner and Founder of The Lemons Law Firm
- Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Family Litigation:
- Explore key factors that help the judges make custody and support decisions.
- Get a better handle on court investigations and their role in specific cases.
- Learn how dissipation and income disparity are reviewed by the local triers of fact.
- Draft better briefs and motions with direct guidance from the judges.
- Get tips for obtaining and admitting smartphone, email and social media evidence.
- Learn to tackle sensitive client situations without overstepping the ethical rules.
- Improve courtroom presentation by finding out what works and what doesn’t.
- Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Civil Litigation:
- Hear from the judges what works and what doesn’t in their courtrooms.
- Find out where to get court information vital to the case.
- Learn what judges take into consideration when making the ruling in evidence spoliation and privilege disputes.
- Explore new and time-tested ways of helping judges resolve cases quickly.
- Avoid looking unprepared with tips on what documents and information judges need in motion hearings and pre-trial conferences.
- Learn what documentation actually helps attorneys’ briefs and what is unnecessary and frustrating.
- Find out how to custom-tailor case presentation to bench vs. jury trial.
- Know when to seek the judge’s input/ruling.
CLE Costs for Friends of the Class of 2001:
$35 – Before Day of CLE (July 29, 2016)
$40 – Day of CLE (cash or check only)
Via Check or Money Order: Make payable to NCCU School of Law Class of 2001 and mail to 1921 North Pointe Drive, Suite 201, Durham, NC 27705
Via Credit Card or Debit Card: Access https://squareup.com/store/nccu-school-of-law-class-of-2001
Sponsored By: THE NCCU SCHOOL OF LAW CLASS OF 2001
NCCU Law School (Open to the Friends of the Class of 2001 Alumni)